
On July 23, 2010 I will be traveling to Nairobi, Kenya to teach at the The Humble Hearts school (just outside of the slums). To learn more about the school click here and here. The Humble Hearts school began as an orphanage for deaf children in 2003, by a woman named Beatrice Anunda. There are currently 40 deaf children and 130 hearing students. I have a feeling this will be VERY different than my experiences teaching at a private school in La Jolla!
While in Kenya I will be traveling with 12 other USD students and staying at the Rusam Villa Guest House. I have heard it is very secure with a 10 foot high brick wall surrounds the guest house and there is only one entry, which is locked 24 hours a day. When we come and go, someone lets us in and locks the door on our way out. There is hot water, showers and electricity. It’s not fancy, but it’s safe, clean and ideally located. There is an internet cafĂ© around the corner from the guest house and we can walk to a nearby market for water and other necessities.
While there, we will be assisting the teachers, students and staff of the school in they way they feel is best. Although English is the main language spoken in Nairobi, the children will also be fluent in sign, and swahili. Right now I am trying to brush up on my Kenyan sign, I've been told to learn the signs for kuhara (diarreha), choo (toilet), dawa (medicine) and of course furaha (happy). As soon as I figure out how to link a pdf. I'll post my cheat sheet over there ---->
I am currently looking into ways in which I can "stay connected" with all my loved ones in the states. My hope is to have an internet connection to post updates, and possibly one fast enough to post a picture and possibly a video.











No comments:
Post a Comment