Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Putting Things Into Perspective

 I have always been aware that I have lived a blessed life and a life of privilege. Growing up, my parents always pointed out how fortunate my sisters and I were to have the education we had, the trips traveled, the experiences we shared and the family we became. I have always been thankful for what life and experiences provided me, but I have also always strived for more. After graduating from college I needed to attain my Master's degree, after running a marathon I needed to qualify for Boston. There was always something more, something next, something else. My trip to Africa came from this desire for something more. I was happy teaching the children at The Children's School, but I wanted to do more, teach more, learn more. Nairobi allowed me to do this. What I learned in Nairobi was that it is okay to not need more. The children and people of Kenya were happy, they were content, they were proud and they were my teachers. The children at Humble Hearts weren't asking for more pencils, better lighting, clean paper or books. They were happy with what they had. Ishmiel's family had no desire to move from the slums, the teacher's at Humble Hearts weren't asking for new projectors or computers and the people of Kenya were proud of their jobs, shops, homes and families. Although I am happy with all of my accomplishments and don't think I could possibly create a better life than the one I am living now, I also realize that it is necessary to just be okay and proud of what I have, who I am and what I have done.  I will continue to strive towards being a better person, while keeping in perspective what materialistic things are wanted vs. needed. Kenya has taught me that it is not necessary to need what I don't have and want what I don't need.

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, Lisa. Should we have expected any less of you? Of course not. The desire to achieve is like a young, strong horse. You must ride it well or be injured in the process. You are indeed turning into one of the excellent riders in life. Imua!

    1434

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a lovely sentiment. It's a lesson I am trying to learn right now too (reconciling ambition and contentment). It has been really fun to follow your trip, and it brought back a lot of sweet memories for me of my Peace Corps years. Thanks and love, N

    ReplyDelete